Lightweight Design / Composite materials
Three pillars of the enhancement of energy efficiency
- Material development: development of special polymers and fibres
- Product development: development of lightweight design systems and their transfer to ultra-lightweight construction methods
- Integration: multi-material systems and hybrid construction methods
Fundamental and also application-oriented research and development work within the Cluster is being successfully carried out jointly with numerous companies especially in the field of lightweight design with composite materials.
From the monomer to the execution of an experimental model: the complex approach to material development receives comprehensive attention.
Energy-efficient lightweight design solutions and corresponding manufacturing technologies along a product-oriented value chain are being developed with structured materials.
Initiatives and topics
- Competence Centre for Energy- and Resource-Efficient Lightweight Construction and Composite Materials
- Development and modification of cross-linked polymers (thermosets)
- Development of special fibres and carbon fibres
- Energy-efficient lightweight design solutions and corresponding manufacturing technologies
- Construction and simulation
- High-performance fibre-fair joining techniques
- Hybrid multilayer composites
- Characterisation of composites and prototypes